Saturday, January 4, 2014

Pretty Darn Happy :D

I was just getting cozy in my bed tonight to go to sleep, and I suddenly had a wave of appreciation for some things in my life.  A lot of people say I'm easily amused and/or pleased, but I think the more you are able to enjoy the small, every day things in life, the happier you'll be!  So with that said here is a list of things that genuinely make me happy and I want to be grateful for in writing:

1.  My duvet

A very simple thing, yes, but I just love it.  A gift from my dad and his girlfriend for Christmas 2012, the design is gorgeous (city names!) but even beyond that it's comfortable - so comfortable - and warm, but without being heavy, and squishy, but not poofy.  It really just makes my bed, a thing I already love, one hundred times better.

2. The Shaytards

Some people think I'm ridiculous for watching and loving someone's family as much as I do, but I can't help it.  I don't watch television, but I'm calling out all the Harry Potter, Hunger Tames, Dr. Who, Amazing Race, and ER superfans I've ever met... Why aren't they weird?  The Shaytards are fun, funny, and all they're trying to do is bring joy to people's lives.  Give them a real chance.  If you still don't like them, that's fine... I don't like all your shows either.  But let's be respectful of each other's opinions.  Shay and his family add something to my life.  Don't judge it.

3.  Cold water

Even the fact that there is drinkable water flowing from my tap and I have a freezer containing ice cubes... I love the feeling of being hydrated and there are some days when absolutely nothing tastes as good as that icy cold liquid.

4. Soft music

Again, not mainstream popular.  I always get something along the lines of "How can you listen to this? I'm falling asleep!"  This music, especially when matched with an activity like crocheting or puzzling, really serves to relax and ground me.  That is my down time.  Don't mess with it.  It's keeping me sane.

5.  Hugging.

ESPECIALLY if they are long and/or tight hugs from someone I really love.  I've hinted to some, straight out told others, but I crave meaningful human touch.  There's a name for my people... We're called cuddlewhores.  Weird, inappropriate, but true - we... I... need it.  It's our love language, my love language.  While the levels of trust, of course, range according to how familiar we are with the other person, hugs are usually a more rewarding (and still usually socially acceptable) way of getting that touch from most people.  Please, if you're comfortable with it, hug me.  I won't initiate it unless you've somehow communicated that it's okay, so do let me know... It makes me feel important and valuable and happy.  The more the merrier.

6.  Good children's movies

Mr. Bagorium's Wonder Emporium.  The Lion King.  Frozen.  The Croods.  The Tinkerbell movies.  Children's films (and some cartoons!) are only getting better.  I love being able to just sit and enjoy being in a child's world again for an hour and a half and letting my imagination and love of musicals get their fill.  Do me a favor and don't bash the movie afterward for no plot or character development.  If I wanted that, I would've watched something different.  I came for the simple jokes and thrills of being a child, but appreciating it so much more because I'm an adult too and I know what I didn't realize I had back then.

That's about it for now.  But I had to write them down because I'm just feeling super satisfied with life at the moment and it's good to remember when you're thankful and happy, and to record it somewhere to review when you're sad.  So there you go, self... Don't forget!


No comments:

Post a Comment