Saturday, December 11, 2010

Patience Is Practiced

Twenty seven minutes. 

That's the length of time that must transpire before my life changes permanently.  It's not really a big change, but at the same time, it's a huge change.

I am celebrating my twentieth birthday in twenty seven minutes.  Actually, make that twenty four, now.

For my birthday, there is a card in a washed-out peach color sitting upon my bookshelf.  It catches my attention every time I look at the shelf, which means every time I enter my bedroom; the light, solid peach contrasts starkly against the blackened plastic covering of the particle boards from which my shelf is constructed.

On this envelope, there is writing.  My name, on the one side.  Ashleigh LaPlante.  (Note, in passing, that my family usually does not capitalize the 'P' in my last name.)  On the other, written on the edge of the triangle piece that opens the envelope, is written, "Do not open until Dec. 12th. :P " 

This envelope has been occupying its space on my shelf for four days.  Likewise, for four days I have been tempted, sometimes sorely as the day grows ever closer, to open it.  I am quite sure it contains a birthday card; the question is, from whom?

I have my theories, but nothing is proven because the envelope remains unopened.  I was telling my brother about it, and how excited I was to see the contents, and he suggested I just run downstairs and open it.  Which I have thought about more than once.

But what should that tell about me?  That I had not the patience to wait until the designated day, that I did not respect the wishes of the sender, whomever they may be?

I thought long and hard about why I wasn't opening it, and this is what conclusion I've come to.  If I open this envelope, I have let my impatience overpower me.  I have let a piece of paper dictate what I will do and when, because I couldn't stand to wait just a few days. 

That is intolerable.

If I can't force myself to wait four days to open an envelope, what will happen in the future, when something comes along that I must exercise patience for?  What if an opportunity presents itself, but because I haven't practiced patience and been faithful in the small things, I am not in the large?  What happens if I lose said opportunity because I did something too fast, if the situation changes because I chose not to wait? 

No.  I am not one to allow a mere envelope to control me, to defeat my willpower.  Better I practice now, with something small.  Although important to me now, and exciting, it is relatively insignificant in the large scheme of my life, if you understand me.  I will wait.  I will be faithful in the small, so I can also be faithful in the larger. 

After all, it's only eight minutes now.

No comments:

Post a Comment